Monday, November 22, 2010

Money vs Art

So ... yeah. I realize I am a REALLY horrible blogger. It's been months since I have posted. But you will be happy to know that with the move to NYC (and the 6 weeks away doing The 39 Steps), I kept true to my promise of doing something every day for my career (well, almost every day. There were a few days I got sucked into America's Next Top Model or Next Iron Chef marathons). But, I have also teamed up with a career coach here in NYC who is pushing me to even more organized and motivated than before (hard to imagine esp since my roommate often says, "you're so fucking organzied! I hate you!"). So I feel pretty good about where I am headed in the businessy part of this business.

However, this past week I missed 6 open calls because I accepted a temp job. It's really boring office work but since it's so slow and boring, I've been doing a lot of headshot and resume submissions and even updated my professional website. But today is the last day of the job and my temp agency calls me asking me if I want to work wednesday and friday (probably because word gets out how fantastically organized and efficient I am. And good-looking doesn't hurt). And you know a NYC gal needs money so of course I said no. What?!?! I know!! I actually said no. I hate turning down work of any kind, but I made plans with NYC friends for this whole weekend. My friends are like a second family to me and in this crazy, stressful town I need to maintain and strengthen those connections with my friends more than ever.

So, it leads me to this question that has plagued so many artists over the years. How do you pursue your art and still make money? I've never been a person who needs money. I mean, I like having money as much as the next guy, but anyone who knows me knows that I don't waste money on technology or accessories. It's mostly food and booze and with a smaller budget, less of both of those is okay. But I still have to pay the rent and buy ramen, so I do need some coin coming in.

So I think part of 2011 will be searching for that one perfect job that compliments my acting "career" and (this could be asking too much) makes me happy as well! If you have any ideas let me know!

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment