Monday, September 6, 2010

Mm ... For the Smell of It

So .. Tonight I saw my first opera ... in HD in the Lincoln Center plaza outside of the Met. I was a filmed version of the Met's production of Carmen by Bizet and it was fan-fucking-tastic. How have I gone 32 years and never experienced an opera? It's beautiful music, beautiful costumes, and tons of drama. It's like every Saturday night of my life!

But as I was sitting on my pillow in front of the fountain in front of Lincoln Center, I was hit with the realization of how much I love the smell of a city. As I sat there, I caught whiffs of steak, and perfume, and Thai food, and wine and dirt and industry. And it all mingled into this unforgettable and delicious smell. I know it sounds crazy, but I LOVE that smell.

When I lived in Chicago, I lived at 863 W Roscoe with a gal pal from college. And one beautiful spring day, I opened a window and took a deep breath and remarked about how much I loved the smell of the city. She very plainly explained to me how much of a freak I was (and apparently still am). Not long after, she moved out to the suburbs where the cleaner smell of fresh cut grass and oxygen are much more prevalent. However, for me, the smell of cities are like pheromones. I crave it. It's home to me.

Daily Activity for My career:
Being inspired by a production at the best opera house in America. What more do you need?

3 comments:

  1. Ah yes...I do prefer cut grass and oxygen to that city smell; but not as much as I like the sound (or lack of sound) in the suburbs vs the city :o) Glad you're settling in to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have been woken up several days this week by trucks on the street underneath my window. I probably needed to get up anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would prefure the smell of steak! but it is an interesting story! whill u see her soon?

    ReplyDelete