Wednesday, August 18, 2010

No Pain, No Gain

So .. I don't know of any actor who travels as much as I do to attend all of these auditions. Today I am four states away for a callback for a theatre I have already worked for and will for in the fall. The callback went well, but I get the sense that I am not their idea of a musical theatre performer. Sure, I'm a good actress b/c they keep hiring me for that, but a singer? Forget it.

I don't think it was totally fruitless, however. I sang a new audition piece and it went well. I learned some other valuable things about auditioning, so it was beneficial. But worth the airfare, rental car and hotel room ... probably not.

I was chatting backstage with a woman in my cast (the whole cast is female so that doesn't really narrow it down) and she was telling me about all of the men she dated before her husband. All of the men were "great on paper" guys, but she felt that something was missing. Each time she broke it off hoping that she would find a man who was not only "great on paper" but also had that missing quality she was looking for. She finally met him at a voice conference and he was the exact opposite of everything she had always been attracted to, but she knew right away that this was the man for her. In her words, she had to date those other men and have the courage to break it off with them with the belief she would find someone better in order "to earn" her husband. While the story does give me hope for my personal life, I feel like it has a more significant application to my professional life.

I think I have to go through all of these expensive, exhausting experiences in order "to earn" my success. That all of this will pay off someday in the connections and impressions I have made. If I can just have the courage and perseverance to keep on keepin' on, I will "earn" what I am striving for. Step twp: figure out what I'm striving for ...

Daily Activities for My Career:
Today: Callback with kick-ass new audition song
Tomorrow: Write thank you notes, start 2nd weekend of shows

No comments:

Post a Comment