Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Dirty Word

So ... when I was in high school, my mother would always encourage me to talk to people in "the biz", introduce myself, ask them questions, tell them I wanted to be an actress. My mother is certainly not a stage mother by any stretch of the imagination. She's the kind of woman who would whisper the word gynecologist if we were in public. But she always said, "Allison, you know, someday you're going to have learn the fine art of networking." I would roll my eyes, flip my hair and sigh heavily in disgust whenever she would say it. How dare she suggest that I be some brown-nosing, ass-kissing suck up. I was going to be a star using only my talent.

yeah ... that's worked out well ...

If I could go back to that stupid little know-it-all, I would grab her by the scrunchy and say, "Listen to your mother, you damned twit." I now see that it's EVERYTHING. It really doesn't matter if you're God's gift to acting, it's only about who you know. Maybe I wouldn't have gone to a private college in a corn state with only 60 majors. I would have busted my ass to get into some fancy school that directors cream their pants over. Or hell, maybe I would have taken her advice and just talked to these people in the theatre scene in my hometown so 16 years later I wouldn't have to work so fucking hard to prove to them that I'm worthy to grace the stages of their Cow Town. They would already know it.

Now ... all of that said, I am really fucking thankful I went to the college I did. I have friends for life and I wouldn't trade any of them for a role on Broadway (except for that one who never calls me back. you know, who you are). AND I'm extremely grateful for all of the opportunities I have had and the people who HAVE given me a chance.

And I will keep sending out thank you cards and thank you emails for every audition and callback I go to, because I actually like doing that and believe that no matter how fancy you are, you like to get mail and be appreciated. And I will keep sending out my headshot and resume for everything I find, even if I'm not right for it. And sending out reviews of my shows, and contacting past directors I've worked with to let them know what I'm up to and going to classes and attending actor nights and opening night parties, etc., etc., ad nauseam ...

However, there is still a little bit of that 16 year old left who rolls her eyes, heaves a heavy sigh and tries to ignore the slimy feeling of being a suck up.

Daily Activities for My Career: writing thank you notes, recording callback info in my audition journal, editing my previously shot scene with director of local TV show (valuable for someone wanting to pursue screen work, right? get used to looking at your own oddly shaped face)

No comments:

Post a Comment