Wednesday, July 14, 2010

On the Road Again

So ... I'm taking a four hour road trip today for a callback for The 39 Steps. It's a fantastically hilarious show that would be a wonderful challenge for me (German and Scottish dialects? Physical Comedy? mmokay?!) The show is with a theatre company I have already worked for and absolutely LOVE. The director of the show, the artistic director of the company and all on staff are just phenomenal people and so very talented, so I feel it's worth the drive for the opportunity to work with them again.

However, this will now be the 15th audition I have traveled to in this calendar year alone. Granted that's how I have gotten all of my work this year (and I do consider myself fortunate to be a working actor this year) but I have to ask myself, "Is it all really worth it?!"

Out of the 14 so far, I've only gotten 2 jobs, but racked up a whole bunch of debt on my credit card. Granted some of those trips were back home so I was able to family or up in Chicago where I was able to see friends so those trips were definitely worth it. And one was down in Hilton Head so I considered it a working vacation where I got to eat lots of really good seafood.

My voice teacher said "I have never seen anyone travel as much as you do for auditions." He's probably right. I don't know of any other actor that does this. Am I totally crazy?

Daily activity for my career: Schlepping my ass 4 hours to a callback and 4 hours back.

No comments:

Post a Comment