Friday, July 16, 2010

The Magic "If"

So ... I have some really exciting news, but I'm going to save it for another post because there are still a lot of things to figure out and I want to have it clear in my head before I throw it out to the internet. But it's one of those things that happens to you and you feel like, "Okay, this is what I've been working so hard for and it's finally here!"

But last night I picked up the book Acting in Film by Michael Caine. I have had this book since I was 20 years old and I'm just now getting around to reading it. Kind of a metaphor for my life really. But in the introduction, he has this fantastic quote that I'm gonna share with you:
"If you really want to become an actor, but only providing that acting doesn't interfere with your golf game, your political ambitions, and your sex life, you don't really want to become an actor. Not only is acting more than a part-time job, it's more than a full-time job. It's a full-time obsession. Anything less and you'll fall short of the mark."
Kind of inspiring and defeating all at the same time. Yes, I want to have that all consuming passion for my craft and, many days, I do. Being onstage, making people laugh, bringing words and characters and art to life is what I've always - and often, only - wanted to build my life on. But the flip side of it is that it has come at the expense of everything else in this life.

While my girlfriends are getting married, buying houses and having babies, I'm packing my Ford Escape full of the few possessions I do have and traveling to yet another city to do another show. I know the grass is always greener and by some miracle the good Lord may one day grace me with a tall, attractive man who will put a baby inside me before my la-la shrivels up and falls off. Stranger things have happened.

But I decided to pursue this seemingly unattainable goal because I never wanted to look back on my life and wonder "What if ... ?" However, even with the marginal successes I have had in my life, I still find myself looking in the mirror and asking that question.

Daily Activities for My Career: Singing lesson, reading aforementioned book, calling moving truck companies to get all my junk to NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment