Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Soft. And not just in the belly.

So … not only I am a really bad blogger but apparently I’m also lazy. I blame my hometown. There is something about this city that makes me soft, unmotivated, defeated.

Two years ago, when I graduated from grad school, I thought this was where I should plant some roots. There is a great theatre scene here, much better than when I left for college at 18. But for as much theatre as there is, it’s an incredibly closed town. I was at a callback last December and I swear I felt like I was back in high school. The popular kids were those actors that get cast all of the time, the kids that wanna hang out with the popular kids are the actors who are trying so desperately to get noticed that they laugh way too loud at the popular kids’ jokes. And then there’s me, the fat smelly new kid who eats by herself at lunch. No one talked to me at this callback, because I had never done a show in this town, I was not cool.

Now, I am in rehearsal for a show in this town and even this feel like high school. Again, the popular kids don’t talk to us new kids (one called me by the wrong name today), and everyone talks while other people are working, or while the director is talking and it feels like no one takes anything seriously. People work in this town because they have worked in this town before and nothing keeps them scared or hungry to improve because they know they will get cast somewhere. And to me, that is death as an artist, an actor. As soon as you get comfortable, you coast. You don’t challenge yourself to be better and all you will be is mediocre.

So what have done for my career since the last post. Practice my song, researched my character, learned my lines. But I would do all of that with any show. Maybe I haven’t done anything for my career lately, because in this town, there is nothing to do … ?

Daily Activities for My Career:
Monday - practice voice lesson, first rehearsal (does that count?)
Tuesday - went to see a friend’s one-man show, was inspired to continue writing my own one-person show, but I’m lazy and played on facebook instead
Wednesday - weighed myself. Yeah, finally joined weight watchers so I can maybe try to be marketable as an actor and not stuck somewhere between attractive leading lady and fat next door neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment