Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jumping on the Bandwagon

So ... in the past year, a lot of my friends have created blogs to express themselves artistically, document their road to sobriety, complain about single life, help their friends towards greater understanding and spirituality or just bitch about their favorite TV shows. Lemming that I am, I decided to follow suit.

I realized today that I have 50 days (counting today) until I move to NYC. I have both my Bachelor's Degree and Master's Degree in Theatre Performance and while I've been traveling as an actor (a working actor, thank you) for the past two years, it's time to plant some roots and "settle down". I can think of no better place to do that than in a city where there is a wealth of opportunity for us performance types.

Now, this decision was not easy. I have fought it these past two years because of fear of failure and to rebel against this idea that if you're an actor in New York, you're a real actor. Some of the people I've seen from NY couldn't act their way out of a WET paper bag and some of the best acting I've seen has been from actors in the regional theatre. The idea is complete bullshit, but I've seen way TOO many regional theatres give into this idea for whatever reason. It's time for me to play that game, too, and to prove to all the naysayers out there that I've got the goods.

So the countdown is on, my friends. This is a blog to document the journey leading up to the move, the move itself and life in the Big Apple. I'm am also hoping this blog will encourage me to do one thing for my career everyday. What is that thing? Going to an audition, submitting my headshot and resume for a show, calling an agent, reading a play, seeing a play, writing a play, whatever. Something that keeps the artistic juices flowing in me and out to the world. Oh, that s way too artsy for me. I'm gonna go have a snack.

That reminds me, maybe I should lose some weight before I move. Eh, that will be tomorrow's activity ...

Daily Activity for for my career: Staring this blog!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I loved when you had the other one when you moved from Chicago.

    ReplyDelete